Below, a brief listing of the main amendments:
Amendments regarding the treatment of vouchers
- Vouchers are defined and then classified into single purpose vouchers ("SPVs" – where the place of delivery of goods/supply of services and the VAT amount are known when the voucher is issued) and multi-purpose vouchers ("MPVs");
- In case of SPVs, the VAT is due when the vouchers are transferred, while for MPVs, the VAT is due when supplying the actual goods/services those vouchers refer to;
- The new law also regulates the VAT treatment applicable in certain cases where other persons (intermediaries) intervene in the distribution of the vouchers;
- the provisions of Law 60/2019 apply to vouchers issued after 20 April.
Amendments regarding e-services supplied to non-taxable persons
- The place of supply is considered to be the member state of the supplier for e-services, telecommunications services, radio and television broadcasting services, supplied to non-taxable persons from other member states when, among others, the value of said services is under the EUR 10,000 threshold;
- For e-services, telecommunications services, radio and television broadcasting services, subject to the special regime, the supplier is required to apply the invoicing rules of its member state of establishment;
Law 60/2019 was published in the Official Gazette of Romania no. 269 of 17 April 2019.