Based on the comprehensive Mergermarket deal data for 2017, Schoenherr is again No 1 in terms of the number of qualifying M&A transactions in Austria. Leading business intelligence provider Mergermarket compiled M&A transaction information from 2017, including details of the financial and legal advisors involved. According to Mergermarket's ranking criteria, Schoenherr outperformed the other 85 law firms in the ranking by advising on 24 Austria-related deals worth in total exceeding EUR 10.8 bln.
"Looking back on a decade of stellar performance on the Austrian M&A market, we are excited to be recognised for advising on many of the most significant transactions in the country," commented Alexander Popp, Schoenherr partner and head of the corporate/m&a practice group. "As the go-to legal advisor in complex transactions and commercial matters, we will continue providing our clients with excellent, tailor-made advice that is straight to the point," concluded Popp.
In December 2017, Mergermarket presented Schoenherr with the "Austrian M&A Legal Adviser of the Year" award, highlighting the firm's role in the Raiffeisen Bank International merger with Raiffeisen Zentralbank and also its advisory provided to companies in the telecoms and healthcare sectors. This is the third time since 2014 that Schoenherr has been acknowledged by Mergermarket as the leading M&A legal advisor in Austria.
For the Mergermarket Central and Eastern European league tables Schoenherr, based on deal volume, captured the fourth spot in the M&A rankings – ahead of 220 other law firms. Schoenherr was the highest ranked Austrian-based law firm and topped its 2016 track record while simultaneously reinforcing its role as a leading legal advisor in the region.
This position was also confirmed by the Thomson Reuters Eastern European 2017 league tables, where Schoenherr was ranked No 4 based on its completed transactions.
Leading M&A advisor in Austria & CEE
Schoenherr advised on a number of high profile M&A transactions in Austria and CEE in 2017, including:
- the business combination agreement between listed Vonovia and listed Buwog valuing Buwog at EUR 5.2 billion and involving an intended Q 1 2018 public takeover by Vonovia on VSE listed Buwog;
- the merger of Raiffeisen Zentralbank into VSE listed Raiffeisen Bank International – the largest corporate reorganisation in the Austrian banking sector to date;
- the sale of Tele2's Austrian subsidiary to Hutchinson Drei (EUR 85m);
- the acquisition of Austrian diabetes care platform mySugr by biotech giant Roche – the most notable digital healthcare transaction in Europe;
- the acquisition of coatings manufacturer Helios' CEE assets by Kansai Paint (EUR 578m);
- the sale of Société Générale's Croatian subsidiary Splitska Banka to OTP Bank;
- the sale of Eurobank's shares in Bancpost to Banca Transilvania;
- the acquisition of two leading broadcasters in Slovenia and Croatia by United Group (EUR 230m).